Outdoor Water Conservation Tips
- Lawn watering — Water in the early morning or evening when evaporation rates are lowest. Don’t water the pavement! One inch of water per week is all that is generally necessary to maintain your lawn. Avoid over-watering by using a rain gauge or coffee can to measure the volume of water being applied. As a general rule, lawns only need watering every five to seven days in the summer and every 10 to 14 days in the winter. A hearty rain eliminates the need for watering for as long as two weeks
- Lawn care — Allow your grass to grow taller in hot, dry weather. Longer grass means less evaporation and will encourage roots to grow deeper, leaving your lawn more drought-tolerant.
- Car washing — Use a bucket to wash. Keep a nozzle on your hose. Do not let water run when not in use.
- Pool — Use a pool cover to keep water clean and reduce evaporation.
- General Maintenance — Use a broom instead of a water hose to clear debris from patios, driveways, and sidewalks.
- Landscaping — Plant trees to provide shade. Decrease lawn area. Use drought-resistant shrubs. Increase areas of ground cover. Mulch.
- Valves and hoses — Check outdoor pipes, hoses, and faucets for leaks.
Indoor Water Conservation Tips
- Only wash full loads of dishes or laundry when using a dishwasher or washing machine.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators to cut down on the amount of water you use.
- Repair leaking faucets, tanks, and pipes.
Water Conservation Kits
Water conservation kits are no longer available at the Groton Water Department Office located in the Town Hall. However, these kits can be purchased at your local hardware store.
- Leak detection tablets that enable you to see if toilets are constantly running.
- A modern, efficient showerhead that will give you a full force shower while you save water.
- One kitchen faucet aerator (2.2 GPM) and one bathroom faucet aerator (1.5 GPM).
- An adjustable flush toilet flapper.
- Complete instructions for easy installation.